The Priesthood of All Believers?
1 Timothy 5:17, James 5:14-15, and other verses refer to the (ordained) ministerial priesthood. 1 Peter 2:9 refers to the “priesthood” of the laity. The ministers handle preaching and the Sacraments. The laity simply participate. Scripture makes a strong distinction.
sacerdotium (lay priesthood, Latin) [1 Peter 2:9]
(See also: Numbers 16.)
Follow me, Answering Protestants, and Catholic Analysis on Twitter, Like Answering Protestants and Catholic Analysis on Facebook, Add Answering Protestants and Catholic Analysis to your Circles on Google+, and Subscribe to me or Catholic Analysis on YouTube.
Tags: authority, believers, Bible, catholic, catholicism, church, greek, holy orders, laity, latin, minister, ordain, ordination, preaching, presbyter, presbyteros, priest, priesthood, protestant, protestantism, sacraments, scripture
About Matthew OlsonMatthew Olson is a college student in the Diocese of Little Rock. He was raised in multiple Protestant denominations before eventually converting to Catholicism on 7 April 2012. His primary interests are theology, Church history, and ecumenism. He is privately discerning the possibility of God calling him to the priesthood. He has a blog, Answering Protestants. He also has a Twitter account, @crucifixwearer.
- I request that you, starting this weekend, or sometime soon, consider Catholicism. #Christian #Philosophy #History http://t.co/q6lohXzYkR 4 days ago
- A Southern Baptist said that Mormonism "is not a part of historical Christianity". The LDS started in the 1820s. The SBC was founded in 1845 5 days ago
- Why not support an inherited aristocracy? #Monarchy #Noble #Nobility #Neoreaction #Philosophy #History #Economy http://t.co/J6d7biWWps 1 week ago
- RT @CathoAnalysis: Cheikh Malek el-Khazen, of the House of Khazen, here explains Israeli-Lebanese relations. fb.me/1kPfDSIiz 2 weeks ago
- #FF #FollowFriday @khazen @joboww @CathoAnalysis @CatholicLisa @RCCoulombe @timothy_stanley @wcsoto @antidemblog @OpusPublicum @RorateCaeli 2 weeks ago