The Priesthood of All Believers?
1 Timothy 5:17, James 5:14-15, and other verses refer to the (ordained) ministerial priesthood. 1 Peter 2:9 refers to the “priesthood” of the laity. The ministers handle preaching and the Sacraments. The laity simply participate. Scripture makes a strong distinction.
sacerdotium (lay priesthood, Latin) [1 Peter 2:9]
(See also: Numbers 16.)
Follow me, Answering Protestants, and Catholic Analysis on Twitter, Like Answering Protestants and Catholic Analysis on Facebook, Add Answering Protestants and Catholic Analysis to your Circles on Google+, and Subscribe to me or Catholic Analysis on YouTube.
Tags: authority, believers, Bible, catholic, catholicism, church, greek, holy orders, laity, latin, minister, ordain, ordination, preaching, presbyter, presbyteros, priest, priesthood, protestant, protestantism, sacraments, scripture
About Matthew OlsonMatthew Olson is a college student in the Diocese of Little Rock. He was raised in multiple Protestant denominations before eventually converting to Catholicism on 7 April 2012. His primary interests are theology, Church history, and ecumenism. He is privately discerning the possibility of God calling him to the priesthood. He has a blog, Answering Protestants. He also has a Twitter account, @crucifixwearer.
- RT @ProtectthePope: Following the Supreme Court ruling the UK is now officially a totalitarian state by forcing people to act against their… 3 days ago
- Honoré de Balzac on Faith and Science: crucifixwearer.tumblr.com/post/105415085… #Catholic #Church #Christianity #Religion #Philosophy #Writing #Books #tcot 3 days ago
- I donated 3 days of cpu time to WCG during the past week wcgrid.org #wcgrid 6 days ago
- RT @CathoAnalysis: So much for trusting the American people, eh? fb.me/6S2Ub6wMB 1 week ago
- "Now Christmas is built upon a beautiful...paradox; that the birth of the homeless should be celebrated in every home." -- G. K. Chesterton 1 week ago
- Assembly of God
- Eastern Orthodoxy
- Faith & Works
- Heaven, Purgatory, and Hell
- Hebrew Roots
- Holy Orders
- Jehovah's Witnesses
- Mary & the Saints
- Scriptural Reflections
- Scripture & Tradition
- The Papacy