The Priesthood of All Believers?
1 Timothy 5:17, James 5:14-15, and other verses refer to the (ordained) ministerial priesthood. 1 Peter 2:9 refers to the “priesthood” of the laity. The ministers handle preaching and the Sacraments. The laity simply participate. Scripture makes a strong distinction.
sacerdotium (lay priesthood, Latin) [1 Peter 2:9]
(See also: Numbers 16.)
Follow me, Answering Protestants, and Catholic Analysis on Twitter, Like Answering Protestants and Catholic Analysis on Facebook, Add Answering Protestants and Catholic Analysis to your Circles on Google+, and Subscribe to me or Catholic Analysis on YouTube.
Tags: authority, believers, Bible, catholic, catholicism, church, greek, holy orders, laity, latin, minister, ordain, ordination, preaching, presbyter, presbyteros, priest, priesthood, protestant, protestantism, sacraments, scripture
About Matthew OlsonMatthew Olson is a college student in the Diocese of Little Rock. He was raised in multiple Protestant denominations before eventually converting to Catholicism on 7 April 2012. His primary interests are theology, Church history, and ecumenism. He is privately discerning the possibility of God calling him to the priesthood. He has a blog, Answering Protestants. He also has a Twitter account, @crucifixwearer.
- RT @eliebassil7: 60 to 80 million people were killed in World War II, but we only remember "6 million" . #Auschwitz70 1 day ago
- Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre, under his canopy baldacchino at Saint-Nicolas-du-Chardonnet (Paris), in 1990. #Liturgy http://t.co/1fxWADj2OA 1 day ago
- @AncientofDays98 Beautiful! Great work! 4 days ago
- Maronites' Liturgy: They use unleavened bread, & -at consecration- they tip the chalice in 4 directions, to symbolize Christ's universality. 4 days ago
- RT @Pontifex: Every Life is a Gift. #marchforlife 6 days ago
- Assembly of God
- Eastern Orthodoxy
- Faith & Works
- Heaven, Purgatory, and Hell
- Hebrew Roots
- Holy Orders
- Jehovah's Witnesses
- Mary & the Saints
- Scriptural Reflections
- Scripture & Tradition
- The Papacy