The Priesthood of All Believers?
1 Timothy 5:17, James 5:14-15, and other verses refer to the (ordained) ministerial priesthood. 1 Peter 2:9 refers to the “priesthood” of the laity. The ministers handle preaching and the Sacraments. The laity simply participate. Scripture makes a strong distinction.
sacerdotium (lay priesthood, Latin) [1 Peter 2:9]
(See also: Numbers 16.)
Follow me, Answering Protestants, and Catholic Analysis on Twitter, Like Answering Protestants and Catholic Analysis on Facebook, Add Answering Protestants and Catholic Analysis to your Circles on Google+, and Subscribe to me or Catholic Analysis on YouTube.
Tags: authority, believers, Bible, catholic, catholicism, church, greek, holy orders, laity, latin, minister, ordain, ordination, preaching, presbyter, presbyteros, priest, priesthood, protestant, protestantism, sacraments, scripture
About Matthew OlsonMatthew Olson is a college student in the Diocese of Little Rock. He was raised in multiple Protestant denominations before eventually converting to Catholicism on 7 April 2012. His primary interests are theology, Church history, and ecumenism. He is privately discerning the possibility of God calling him to the priesthood. He has a blog, Answering Protestants. He also has a Twitter account, @crucifixwearer.
- @antidemblog Have you seen this? rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2014/10/magist… 1 week ago
- You don't love God, if you don't at least care for His likeness (i.e. humanity) in creation. 1 week ago
- RT @AnswerProtests: It is so disingenuous for Protestants to praise Martin Luther and then deviate from him. Either he was an authorized pr… 2 weeks ago
- RT @CathoAnalysis: 4. Women can now, via "sperm banks" and artificial insemination, have children unilaterally. #WarOnWomen ? No. #WarOnMen… 2 weeks ago
- RT @CathoAnalysis: 3. At least two-thirds of divorces are initiated by women. That's what #feminism gets you. #WarOnWomen ? No. #WarOnMen #… 2 weeks ago
- Assembly of God
- Eastern Orthodoxy
- Faith & Works
- Heaven, Purgatory, and Hell
- Hebrew Roots
- Holy Orders
- Jehovah's Witnesses
- Mary & the Saints
- Scriptural Reflections
- Scripture & Tradition
- The Papacy