The Priesthood of All Believers?
1 Timothy 5:17, James 5:14-15, and other verses refer to the (ordained) ministerial priesthood. 1 Peter 2:9 refers to the “priesthood” of the laity. The ministers handle preaching and the Sacraments. The laity simply participate. Scripture makes a strong distinction.
sacerdotium (lay priesthood, Latin) [1 Peter 2:9]
(See also: Numbers 16.)
Tags: authority, believers, Bible, catholic, catholicism, church, greek, holy orders, laity, latin, minister, ordain, ordination, preaching, presbyter, presbyteros, priest, priesthood, protestant, protestantism, sacraments, scripture
About Matthew OlsonMatthew Olson is a student in the Diocese of Little Rock.
- RT @JimDalrympleII: "Glenn Beck puts his hand on a crying boy, saying, 'This is the priesthood rising!' at an appearance by…Ted Cruz" https… 10 months ago
- Pope St. Pius X on the Need to Love the Pope fb.me/4MN4YRsV6 11 months ago
- St. Peter, St. Paul, and the Unity of the Church fb.me/2Dr7ZYIDm 12 months ago
- St. Augustine of Hippo on the 4 Stages of Christian Life: fb.me/7TRrp4Lzv 1 year ago
- Episcopal Church suspended from Anglican Communion over Same-Sex Marriage fb.me/5ijEkyDvW 1 year ago